These are ingenious methods of deceiving us! These rogue apps once installed turns into “Settings” app to hide in your Android device. Impossible to identify them, because the new parameter icon does indeed redirect to the smartphone settings.
Even if Google has developed several tools to get rid of malware on the Play Store, the risk is never zero of being fooled. Especially since malicious applications use very malicious methods, as you will see.
A new batch of 35 malicious Android apps have been found on the Google Play Store, some of these apps have been installed over 2 million times. The apps were found by Bitdefender security researchers, who used a real-time behavioral analysis method to uncover potentially malicious apps.
A clever and effective tactic
As Bitdefender explains in its article, applications implement several methods to hide themselves. Thanks to Google’s legal APIs, these developers have found a way to completely deceive users.
How ? It’s clever. Once installed, the apps take on the appearance of Motorola, Oppo, or Samsung system apps. They change name and even icon. This allows it to blend in with the targeted Android device. If we click on the new application Settingswe are well redirected to the general settings. We can say that this Android malware lives up to its name… it is really a malicious behavior that has been described by Bitdefender.
Additionally, these rogue apps also feature code encryption to thwart the efforts of Google and other security apps, hiding the main Java code in two encrypted DEX files. That’s not all, they also manage to exclude themselves from the “Recent Applications” list. So even if they are running in the background, the list of active processes will not reveal them.
At first glance, this malware will not steal your data, but it serves ads without your knowledge. It’s called some intrusive adsabusing WebView, generating fraudulent impressions and ad revenue for their customers.
Here is the list of applications, some of which are still available on the Play Store:
- Wall Lights – Wallpaper Pack (gb.packlivewalls.fournatewren)
- Big Emoji – Keyboard 5.0 (gb.blindthirty.funkeyfour)
- Great Wallpapers – 3D Backgrounds 2.0 (gb.convenientsoftfiftyreal.threeborder)
- Engine wallpapers (gb.helectronsoftforty.comlivefour)
- Wallpapers (gb.fiftysubstantiated.wallsfour)
- EffectMania – Photo Editor 2.0 (gb.actualfifty.sevenelegantvideo)
- Art Filter – Deep Photoeffect 2.0 (gb.crediblefifty.editconvincingeight)
- Fast Emoji Keyboard APK (de.eightylamocenko.editioneights)
- Create sticker for Whatsapp 2.0 (gb.convincingmomentumeightyverified.realgamequicksix)
- Math Solver – Camera Helper 2.0 (gb.labcamerathity.mathcamera)
- Photopix Effects – Art Filter 2.0 (gb.mega.sixtyeffectcameravideo)
- Led Theme – Colorful Keyboard 2.0 (gb.theme.twentythreetheme)
- Animated Sticker Master 1.0 (am.asm.master)
- Sleep Sounds 1.0 (com.voice.sleep.sounds)
- Personality Charge Display 1.0 (com.charge.show)
- Image distortion camera
- GPS position finder (smart.ggps.lockakt)
We advise you to read and apply these essential security rules. The risk is never zero, but these basic rules will save you the vast majority of attacks and other deceptions.
To follow us, we invite you to download our Android and iOS application. You can read our articles, files, and watch our latest YouTube videos.