Prince Charles received three million euros from the ex-Prime Minister of Qatar, according to the "Sunday Times"

Prince Charles received three million euros from the ex-Prime Minister of Qatar, according to the “Sunday Times”

Advertisements

the Sunday time revealed on Saturday that Prince Charles would have accepted between 2011 and 2015, from Sheikh Hamad bin Jassim, then Prime Minister of Qatar, up to three million euros in cash in installments.

New scandal at Buckingham? Prince Charles has, according to revelations from the Sunday timeSaturday, accepted from Sheikh Hamad bin Jassem al-Thani, Prime Minister of Qatar, several cash payments, between 2011 and 2015, for a total amount of three million euros.

According to Sunday timethe prince thus received three million euros in three cash donations from the sheikh, including one of one million euros, delivered personally, during a meeting in his official residence of Clarence House, in bags from the store of London luxury Fortnum & Mason.

Clarence House assures that the donations of the sheikh, who was Prime Minister of Qatar from 2007 to 2013, were “immediately transmitted” to the prince’s foundations, in a legal and transparent manner.

Bags full of banknotes

“Charitable donations received from Sheikh Hamad bin Jassim were forwarded immediately to one of the prince’s charities, which carried out proper governance and assured us that all procedures had been properly followed,” a statement read. of Clarence House, relayed by the British press.

Contacted by the newspaper, the president of the prince’s charity, The Prince of Wales’s Charitable Fund, assures that there has been “no failure in governance”.

The prince’s charity aims to “transform lives and build sustainable communities”, providing scholarships in the areas of education, health, and social inclusion.

Transparency

If there is anything illegal in this transaction, the cash payments, and the origin of the money raise questions. “His mistake, notes investigative journalist Tom Bower in the Daily mailis to have privately accepted large sums of money from foreign businessmen – some of whom have been accused of dishonesty, instead of collecting these funds transparently”.

Sheikh Hamad bin Jassim is a controversial figure. During his tenure, Qatar “may” have financed the Syrian branch of Al-Qaeda, he said, claiming to have known nothing about it.

In November 2021, previous revelations from the Sunday time and you Mail on Sunday had led to the resignation of Michael Fawcett, a former collaborator of Prince Charles.

Generous donor

This former assistant to Charles is suspected of having helped Saudi businessman Mahfouz Marei Mubarak bin Mahfouz, a generous donor to charities linked to the British monarchy, to obtain a decoration.

the Sunday time indicated that Mahfouz Marei Mubarak bin Mahfouz, who denies any wrongdoing, would have given large sums of money to restoration projects of particular interest to the Prince of Wales. Clarence House then said it had “no knowledge” of such transactions.

British police announced in February 2022 that they had opened an investigation.

What damage a little more the image of Prince Charles, in public opinion. The Prince of Wales, who is to succeed Queen Elizabeth when she dies, enjoys a low popularity rating in Britain, with the British preferring his son, Prince William.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.